It’s Christmas and the New Year soon, and there are a whole TON of discounts everywhere.
Xbox Live Marketplace – 12 Days of Xbox Deals
First off, Xbox Live is having a Christmas/New Year sale. For the next 12 days (until 2 January 2012), there will be a daily offer on top of a bunch of special offers. Today’s deal is Bastion, going for 600 MSP (down from 1200), a game which I have been wanting to get for some time. As for the other deals (which are mostly 50% off), there’s the L.A. Noire DLC pass for 480 MSP, which is what you want to get if you have more than 1 case to download (there’s 4 in total at 320 MSP each, and the pass also nets you various suits and The Badge Pursuit Challenge).
Other Xbox Live Arcade titles (all 50% off) are: Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet (600 MSP), Renegade Ops (600 MSP), Plants vs Zombies (600 MSP), Peggle (400 MSP), Peggle Nights (Peggle DLC; 200 MSP), BloodRayne Betrayal (600 MSP), After Burner Climax (400 MSP) and Portal: Still Alive (600 MSP). There are also 2 full games, The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion and LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga. Prices for both vary by region. The remaining offers are for avatar items, if you’re into those. The next few days’ offers should be pretty good too, so better get ready your Microsoft Points.
As it turns out, I was just mentioning about how I wanted to get Portal. I’ll need to top up my account though, since I already bought Bastion. Renegade Ops looks like a fun dual-stick vehicular shooter, so I’m probably getting that as well, and possibly After Burner Climax. I already have Plants vs Zombies, which is a great defense game (although you might’ve already played it on one or more of the numerous platforms it’s on).
Source: Major Nelson
Steam – Steam Holiday Sale
And I thought the Summer Sale was crazy enough. Well, it was, but the Holiday Sale is probably even crazier. Like before, there are daily deals for individual games and packages, and the bigger pack deals (available through 2 January) and publisher catalogs (discounts for individual games by publishers) which have varying promotional periods. There’s also The Great Gift Pile, where you are awarded either gifts or coal for completing objectives in various games. There are new objectives each day, but you can complete them anytime. The catch is that some of the games listed are from the daily deals so if you miss out you’ll have to pay a higher price for them. Some are also interface-related, if the Summer Sale was any indication (e.g. uploading a screenshot, commenting on a friend’s page). For the first day, you’ll get a gift/coal simply by checking your inventory. Not sure if the gifts are random but I got Defense Grid: The Awakening (my friend got a coal though, so it’s random between gifts/coals). All in all I think I only got about 5 tokens during the Summer Sale since I didn’t have most of the games listed, although I think I spent 3 more to redeem a game.
Regarding coal, it’s basically a token which you can use to combine into a gift (i.e. game), or as an entry to the Epic Holiday Giveaway, where the grand prize is, wait for it… Every. Single. Game. On. Steam. Never mind that you’ll most definitely not have enough HDD space to download every one of them, never mind that you probably won’t even want to play a lot of them in the first place, never mind it all. Because there will only be one winner for this. The 1st and 2nd prize will net you your Top 10/5 wishlist items, and there’s also a 3rd prize of Valve Complete Pack for 1000 winners, which is pretty cool too. So get your wishlist up, if you didn’t do so during the Summer Sale. More details here.
Apple App Store
Well there’s obviously too many to list so I’ll just post the better ones and update it every now and then. All prices are in US$.
- Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP (universal) at $1.99, Micro (iPhone version) at $0.99.
- Crescent Moon Games: Aralon: Sword and Shadow HD, Evertales, Gears, Pocket RPG for iPhone, Rimelands: Hammer of Thor, Siegecraft all at $0.99; Pocket RPG at $2.99, Deadlock: Online for free.
- Telltale Games: Back to the Future Episodes, Hector Episodes, Monkey Island Tales, Puzzle Agent etc.
- Mobigames: Edge Extended and Perfect Cell at $0.99, Edge, Cross Fingers and Trucker’s Delight: Episode 1 for free.
- Infinite Dreams
- EA: A whole ton of games at $0.99 or for free.
- Gameloft: Also a whole ton of games at $0.99 or for free.
- Rockstar Games: Grand Theft Auto III at $2.99 (down from $4.99), Chinatown Wars at $5.99 (down from $9.99). If you still haven’t gotten Grand Theft Auto III yet, now is probably the time to do it.
- Tower Bloxx Deluxe 3D at $0.99, down from $1.99.
- id Software: DOOM Classic, DOOM II RPG, Wolfenstein 3D Classic Platinum, all at $0.99. The apps themselves might not be available in some countries, like mine, although strangely enough DOOM Resurrection is $0.99 for me, but not in the U.S. for one.
- Cave: DEATHSMILES at $6.99, down from $11.99 Dodonpachi Resurrection at $5.99, down from $7.99, ESPGALUDA II at $5.99, down from $7.99, HD version at $10.99, down from $13.99, Mushihimesama BUG PANIC at $0.99, down from $6.99
- Square Enix: A whole bunch of titles (all of theirs?) on sale, including but not limited to Chaos Rings, Final Fantasy I/II/III/Tactics, Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light, Secret of Mana, Song Summoner etc. Not a whole lot of $0.99 titles, but Lara Croft is one of them.
- Jetpack Joyride, Deadlock: Online, Bejewled (through App Store Facebook page), Edge, Call of Mini: Zombies
- Gameloft’s free games: Brain Challenge 2: Think Again!, Pocket Chef
On a related (?) note, Gameloft has a wishlist promotion on their Facebook page, where you pick one item from various categories (smartphone/tablet, Vita/3DS, gift card, iOS/Android games, headset and casing) and they’ll pick a winner who’ll win it all. Supposedly if you refer a friend and they win, you’ll win too (hence the referral link above).